With the war in Ukraine, CAML is sharing this summary of information available for people who need to know about rights for Ukrainian citizens.
Update on Government guidance for Ukrainians and their families
Currently, two different schemes have been announced by the Home Office for Ukrainian refugees fleeing current conflict.
Ukraine Family Visa
Open to Ukrainians who have a family connection to a UK. To be eligible you will need to:
· be applying to join or accompany your UK-based family member; and
· be Ukrainian or the immediate family member of a Ukrainian national who is applying to the scheme; and
· have been residing in Ukraine on or immediately before 1 January 2022 (including those who have now left Ukraine)
Further information on eligibility and information on how to apply can be found at:
Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme (Homes for Ukraine)
Full information for UK based organisations/households looking to sponsor Ukrainians is now available at:
Applications can be made at:
Information for Ukrainians wishing to take part in the Sponsorship Scheme can be found at:
Currently, under stage one, Ukrainians will need to be down a named sponsor.
Ukrainians already in the UK
Ukrainians on work and study routes already in the UK can now:
- switch into a work or study category, where that would not normally be permitted
- switch into a family category, even if they have limited leave – for instance as a visitor, or where their leave has recently expired
The Home Secretary’s statement on 1 March announced that these applications will be free of charge. The guidance can be found here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/ukrainian-nationals-on-work-and-study-routes-concessions-to-the-immigration-rules
CAML provides an Immigration service for Merton and Lambeth residents.
Merton Adviceline: 0808 278 7831
Lambeth Adviceline: 0800 254 0298