Free, independent, impartial and confidential
Citizens Advice Merton and Lambeth (CAML) is the leading advice charity supporting individuals and families across the London boroughs of Lambeth, Merton and beyond. We provide a range of information, support and advice services. We also work to raise awareness and understanding of the challenging issues affecting our clients and communities.
We are looking for accredited Generalist Advisers to provide comprehensive advice and support to clients. If you have at least one year’s post certificate training, passionate about supporting individuals and families in need and interested in joining a dedicated, professional team we would love to hear from you.
The successful candidates will have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to work flexibly with clients. You will be meticulous in your work, especially when supporting clients and maintaining case records for continuity of follow up advice and casework. You will also be very well informed with regards to legislation, case law and policy changes relating to debt and benefits.
At the present time all staff members are blended (hybrid) working (mix of office/venue and home working). You must be prepared to work flexibly across various outreach venues in Lambeth and Merton and in our charity offices. Our offices have excellent public transport links and Mitcham also has a car park. We offer a friendly and welcoming work environment and can provide flexible work opportunities dependent on service demands.
Main duties and responsibilities (Generalist Adviser)
- Provide comprehensive advice in all subject areas in line with Citizens Advice requirements
- Use your interpersonal skills to explore, listen and understand complex problems as they affect each individual and tailor approach to advice accordingly
- Follow-up on actions relating to cases as appropriate
- Identify and escalate serious problems, including safeguarding, appropriately
- Ability to work to own initiative within a team environment. Work closely with service colleagues and wider CAML team
Monitoring Quality and Case Recording
- Ensure all client engagement and support is comprehensively and accurately recorded
- Review your work, and monitor quality standards, as per the Citizens Advice quality framework
- Work with your line manager, Head of Advice Services and charity colleagues to develop and improve services, and your own standards.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- With wider charity team and other organisations, ensure clients are supported with related advice issues
- Ensure all work is fully compliant with our policies and procedures and Citizens Advice Quality Standard
- Assist and contribute to the charity’s communications, research and campaigns work
- Maintain positive working relations with our stakeholders
- Professionally represent Citizens Advice Merton and Lambeth
- Other duties as requested by Head of Advice Services and Chief Executive
- All our team receive comprehensive induction to the charity and our work. We support Advisers in their professional development to ensure we’re up to date with recent legislation, case law, policies and procedures relating to benefits and debt and undertake appropriate training as agreed with your line manager.
- Generalist Adviser certificate (Citizens Advice or equivalent) – Essential
- Experience of using client management databases (we use Casebook) – Essential
- Ability to prioritise work, meet deadlines and manage caseload – Essential
- IT competency and experience – Essential
- Ability and willingness to work as a team – Essential
- Understanding of and commitment to the aims and principles of Citizens Advice service – Essential
Terms and Conditions
Full time or part time positions, 37.5 hours (5 day week) or 30 hours (4 day, Mon to Thurs) or 3 days (22.5 hours a week)
Contract: Permanent Base location: Charity offices, outreach venues and home working
Salary: £26,000 per annum (pro rata for part time)
Annual Leave: 25 days (pro rate for part time), Charity Day, plus public holidays
Pension: The charity operates a contributory pension scheme
Child Care Vouchers
Employee Assistance Programme
If you’re interested in the role and joining us, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please read the full job description and the Application Guidance Notes. Send the completed Application Form and Equality and Diversity Form to email@example.com. (please note we will not consider CVs for this role).
Please send the completed application form (together with equality monitoring information) to firstname.lastname@example.org (please note we will not consider CVs for this role). If you wish to confidentially discuss the role with Karen Brunger, our Head of Advice Services, please email Karen on email@example.com in the first instance.
The deadline for applications is 12 noon, Tuesday 23 November, 2021. Interviews will take place via Zoom on Friday 26 November 2021. If you do not hear from us, we are afraid your application was unsuccessful.
We look forward to hearing from you.