Website Citizens Advice Merton and Lambeth
Free, Independent, Impartial, Confidential
Citizens Advice Merton and Lambeth (CAML) is the leading advice charity supporting individuals and families across the London boroughs of Lambeth and Merton. We provide a range of information, support and advice services. We also work to raise awareness and understanding of the challenging issues affecting our clients and communities.
We are looking for an experienced adviser to join our established Merton Disability Welfare service. This service supports individuals and families impacted by long-term health conditions to access/receive the benefits to which they are entitled to.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Provide advice and casework on disability benefits and passported benefits to clients living in Merton, including:
- Applications for new claims plus renews and reviews of existing claims
- Help clients with conversions from Disability Living Allowance to Personal Independence Payment
- Assist with Mandatory Reconsiderations and appeals to lower tribunal
- Help prepare submissions
- Provide representation (if required)
- Upper Tier Tribunal applications (identifying if there has been an error in law)
- Identify if client requires help with other issues and refer to Advice Supervisor as appropriate
- Deliver training sessions to Citizens Advice Merton and Lambeth team on disability benefits
- Work to own initiative, whilst proactively getting support from service and other CAML colleagues as necessary
- Identify and escalate serious problems and emergencies appropriately
- Use good interpersonal skills to explore, listen and understand complex problems as they affect each individual and tailor approach to advice accordingly
- Follow-up on actions relating to cases as appropriate
Monitoring Quality and Case Recording
- Ensure that all client interactions are fully and accurately recorded on the appropriate case-recording software
- Ensure paper files are securely and appropriately stored
- Review your work, and monitor own quality standards, as per the Citizens Advice quality framework
- Work with Head of Advice Services, Quality Manager, Advice Supervisors and wider team to develop and improve services, and your own standards.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- With wider charity team and other organisations, ensure clients are supported with related advice issues
- Ensure all work is fully compliant with our policies and procedures and Citizens Advice Quality Standard
- Assist and contribute to charity’s communications, research and campaigns work
- Maintain positive working relations with our stakeholders
- Professionally represent Citizens Advice Merton and Lambeth within your work
- Other duties as requested by Head of Advice Services and Chief Executive
The successful applicant will receive comprehensive induction to the charity and our work. We support team members in their professional development to ensure we’re up to date with legislation, case law, policies and procedures and undertake appropriate training as agreed with your line manager.
- Generalist Adviser certificate (Citizens Advice or equivalent) essential
- Accredited debt adviser (either through relevant Citizens Advice debt training, Giving Good Debt Advice or Wiser Adviser training) desirable
- Knowledge and experience of welfare benefits support of (essential)
- Experience of advising clients with disabilities or long-term health conditions (essential)
- Experience of Casebook or another client management system (essential)
- Ability to prioritise work, meet deadlines and manage caseload (essential)
- IT competency and experience (essential)
- Ability and willingness to work as a team (essential)
- Understanding of and commitment to the aims and principles of Citizens Advice service and our equality and diversity policies (essential).
Terms and Conditions
- Full time (37.5 hours per week) but will consider 4 day week
- Contract: Permanent
- Location: Primarily based in our Mitcham office with a minimum one day a week in our Morden office and occasional outreach across Merton
- Salary: £28,000 pa (full time equivalent)
- Annual Leave: 25 days plus public holidays pa (full time equivalent)
- Child care vouchers
- The charity operates a group pension scheme
If you’re interested in this role and joining us, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please read the Full Job Description and the Application Guidance Notes. Send the completed Application Form and Equality and Diversity Form to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to confidentially discuss the role in the first instance, please email our Head of Advice Services at email@example.com. The deadline for applications is 6pm Thursday 23 September 2021 and shortlisted applicants will be invited to an interview on Tuesday 28 September 2021. If you do not hear from us, we are afraid your application was unsuccessful.