Citizens Advice Merton and Lambeth (CAML) is the leading advice charity supporting individuals and families across the London boroughs of Merton and Lambeth.
We provide a range of information, support and advice services. We also work to raise awareness and understanding of the challenging issues affecting our clients and communities.
Aim of this role
Information Volunteers have an important and varied role, supporting our Information Manager, Advice Supervisors and Advice team with client liaison and client administration. Information Volunteers greet and support clients as they enter the building, dealing with initial enquiries and getting those with scheduled appointments booked in on our system. Information Volunteers also support the Advice Team with administration.
As an Information Volunteer you will:
- Based in Reception area, meet-and-greet members of public
- Identify whether clients live or work in either borough of Merton or Lambeth
- Establish the enquiry client has and provide information, where appropriate
- Search for information on trusted public websites such as Citizens Advice, GOV.UK, etc
- Signpost clients to other advice agencies as required
- Work closely with supervisors, ensuring all aspects have been covered
- Photocopy client letters/documents, scan into Casebook (our Client Database) with a brief note, ensuring any deadlines are reported to the supervisor on the day
- Assist the advisers and supervisors with sending letters out to clients, photocopying and any other duties
- Other admin tasks, as required
- Working closely with Advice team and supervisor, schedule and confirm appointments with clients and specific members of our team, explaining whether the client requires specific information or documentation for appointment
- Record client engagement on our Client Database (Casebook).
- Email or text appointment reminders to clients, updating casebook
Due to the needs of the service, this role will be based in our Merton offices, based in Mitcham and Morden respectively.
What we are looking for
A commitment to work as part of a friendly and supportive charity team, our services, policies and volunteering with clients are extremely important. Good interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) are essential. You will need the ability to use online resources, and you’ll need to be organised, reliable and friendly.
Speaking another of the languages spoken widely in Merton and Lambeth can also be very helpful.
Training and Support
You will receive comprehensive training for this role and learning will continue through various methods of training. You will be supported day-to-day by named supervisors and have additional support from our Volunteer and Training team.
Our services are open 10am to 4pm, five days a week. Our volunteers are typically with us for one day per week or more.
Due to current demand, we are particularly interested in cover for Merton offices on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
We are looking for volunteers who are able to be with us for at least 8 hours per week, across one to two days. Our offices open to the public at 10am and we arrange the rota according to the needs of the service.
We will agree days and times with you, and these can be changed if needed. If for any reason you’re unable to attend we ask you let your team know.
How to apply
If you’re interested in the role and joining us, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please fill out the Application Form and Diversity Monitoring Form. Please return your completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6pm on Sunday 12th June. Interviews will (provisionally) take place week commencing 20th June 2022.